Regulatory & Compliance Engineer
Yamabiko Europe is a Belgian company and is a member of Yamabiko. Based in Japan, Yamabiko is a global company with major markets in Japan and the Americas and a growing business presence in Europe, Asia, and other countries. Yamabiko manufactures and sells Outdoor Power Equipment, Agricultural machinery and Industrial machinery. Yamabiko is listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange. More information can be found at www.yamabiko-corp.co.jp/english/.
Yamabiko Europe (YE) has two business activities:
- Robotic mowers and golf ball pickers: YE is the world leader in commercial-scale automatic lawn mowers for large areas: we design, manufacture and sell robot mowers for turf areas up to 30,000 m2 and automatic ball pickers that collect golf balls on practices.
Belrobotics and ECHO Robotics robots are currently used across Europe to maintain sports facilities (football, rugby, golf courses), private gardens and large open spaces. More information can be found at www.belrobotics.com and www.echorobotics.com. As a full-fledged Yamabiko Group company, we are intensifying our reach in Europe, and starting distributing our products and applications in North America, Japan and selected countries in the rest of the world.
- Outdoor Power Equipment (OPE): YE is the full-pledged distributor of ECHO and SHINDAIWA products across Europe, Africa and Middle East, taking responsibility for sales and profits. OPE products include chain saws for limbing, felling, and pruning trees: trimmers and brushcutters for grass cutting, mowing and clearing, and power blowers for blowing, collecting, and shredding leaves and debris.
In order to strengthen our command of regulatory matters applicable to our robotic products and applications, and to make certification of products across the world a core skill of our company, YE is looking for a Regulatory & Compliance Engineer.
Based on a solid understanding of our existing and planned robotic products and applications, you develop the expertise, a network of relationships inside and outside of Yamabiko Group, in Europe, North America and Japan so as to be on top of regulation, norms and standards relevant to our businesses. You coordinate the regulatory support and knowledge transfer from Yamabiko entities in North America and Japan.
Depending on your experience and abilities, you could play an active role in participating in selected technical committees to follow the evolution of regulatory matters, protect our interests, and suggest steps as appropriate.
You provide the regulatory requirements at the design stage of new product development and support our engineering team during the design, development and test processes, while building the adequate Technical Files.
You lead all certification processes of our products and applications in the European Union, USA and Canada, Japan and in selected countries around the world. You coordinate the support from experts suggested or appointed by Yamabiko entities in North America and Japan.
More specifically, you take the ownership of following matters:
- Developing an expertise in regulation, norms and standards relevant to robotic mowing, flailing, collecting equipment being used around homes, in commercial and industrial environments in European Union (EU), North America (NA), Japan and in selected countries such as South Korea, Australia, New Zealand and China. Norms and standards include
- In general: safety standards of turf care equipment, functional safety standards, requirements and recommendations, IEC standards, etc. As functional safety is concerned, you develop a pragmatic, solution-oriented approach and contribute to building the required expertise in our engineering department;
- EU: Machine Directive, Radio Equipment Directive, Low Voltage Directive and all applicable Directives and Standards such as for robotic mowers around homes;
- NA: FCC, DoE, future robotic mowers standard, UL and GSM carrier compliance standards;
- Japan: PSE, applicable telecom standards, GSM carrier compliance requirements.
- Depending on your experience and abilities, you would be participating in selective technical committees active in fields of interest to our business such as robotic mowers, turf care equipment, Internet Of Things (IoT), autonomous vehicles. In some cases, taking the lead to include original solutions in current standards.
- Understanding the scope of future products and applications to identify applicable norms and standards – obligatory and voluntary – and the approach to building the Technical File to support certification. With the engineering team in charge of product design, providing the regulatory requirements, validating the elected engineering solutions through appropriate consultations with regulatory or certification experts, and supporting our engineering team in the development and test processes. Taking a pragmatic, solution-oriented approach so as to ease the implementation of required functionalities. Building the Technical File.
- Leading all certifications processes of our products and applications, starting with preliminary tests when needed. Developing tight-knit relationships with experts and notified bodies. Infusing the certification expertise in our engineering team.
- Maintaining and updating Technical Files of all products, including for new SW functionalities and electro-mechanical changes.
You have a Master degree in Engineering, with education and experience to work at system engineering level. Experience in Mechatronics (robotics, automotive, medical equipment or devices, railway, etc.) is an advantage.
You will work at YE, which is located in Wavre, 25 km south east of Brussels in a truly international environment. This position requires occasional travel to EU, NA, Japan with stays up to 1-2 weeks for certification projects.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in similar position.
- You are proficient in English and can work in French. Commands of Japanese, Dutch or German are assets.
- You have analytical skills and you have clear insight into engineering processes, especially in system engineering and in software development processes.
- You can think and work both on conceptual and details levels.
- You have a pragmatic approach and you are solution oriented. You are strong in devising the appropriate method to find effective solutions for regulatory issues. You have a healthy dose of persuasion.
- You are able to build up and maintain broad internal and external networks of contacts to guarantee efficient cooperation and access to key resources and expertise.
- You can inform and provide feedback in a clear way.
- You can be proactive, take the initiative and manage simple projects.
- An open and nice working atmosphere with colleagues working at a high level of expertise, striving altogether to achieve ambitious objectives
- A permanent employment contract with a competitive salary package and fringe benefits
- Company car
- Mix of home office and company site working schedule, making it possible to limit presence at the headquarters in Belgium to 2 days a week after onboarding & training period
- International environment, multidisciplinary work
- Career evolution in Yamabiko Group, which offers opportunities and challenges in fast growing robotic markets.
If you are interested in this challenging job opportunity we ask you to send your application to Sylvie Gérard, Business Operations Assistant at firstname.lastname@example.org